Montreal Beats!


Montreal is a city rich in culture, music and arts. From Festivals like Montreal Jazz festival, Osheaga, MUTEK, to Nuits d' Afrique, performers come from all over to share, learn and grow.


Artists/People of Interest

Anuschka Wright



Photo from Anuschka's recent performance @Le Balcon
I first met Anuschka Wright almost 10 years ago, back in the Bahamas. At that time, she was just starting out as a performer. I was captivated on sight and wanted to know more about this young lady who was singing and performing Jazz at such a young age. She would be one of the first features in my then magazine – Nu Woman Magazine and I would continue to follow her on her incredible journey.


Just recently we reconnected and I’m so excited and proud to see all that Anuschka has been up to on the Montreal music scene. Anuschka who has just released a sultry single called Black Coffee - written by Sonny Burke with lyrics by Paul Francis Webster.






Clerel


Photo from the artist's YouTube performance - When I could Still Call You Mine
I was first introduced to Clerel, on a night out with Anuschka Wright in Montreal.
“You’ve got to come see my friend perform”, she says. Coming from Anuschka, I knew this was a compliment and so we made plans to see him perform with Willis Pride at Quai Des Brumes on a late July night in Montreal.


My first impression - “smooth crooner”. I immediately compared him to a young Marvin Gaye, however as I listened closer, his music held a hint of reggae/Afro Caribbean beats, similar to that of Beres Hammond, but I soon came to the conclusion that his style of singing was uniquely his.


Back to home..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anuschka Wright

Clerel